Thursday, March 18, 2010

Iditarod IS Amazing!


OK I have a new favorite sport. Wait a minute... does it count if I don't really keep up with any sports to begin with?

Well anyway - MUSHING! I've known for a while that this is one of my favorite things to do... and for several years, Salmon Berry has done dog sledding/mushing tours as well as an annual tour to the starting line of the Iditarod. However, THIS year has been even more fun and incredible than years past. I officially signed up to get the GPS tracker and watched the race hourly on my cell phone. We here at Salmon Berry have been occasionally using Dallas Seavey for dog sledding tours with our guests, and he was running the race, so we even had someone to officially cheer for - with some meaning to us.

Dallas was the youngest person to ever run the race 5 years ago when he turned 18. He is now 23. Last year, at 22 years old, he placed 6th. This year he placed 8th and it was a heck of a race! He was up there with the leaders the entire time and it was great to watch his little tag on my cell phone go blazing by Hugh Neff (sorry Hugh).

For those who are not familiar with the race, this sport is truly The Last Great Race. It's a wilderness challenge for man and his beast (several women have won this race - I was speaking poetically only) that so few can handle. It's a lifetime committment for those who want to be where Dallas and his friends and foes are now.

This race impresses me again and again and I think I am forever hooked. My favorite sport: dog mushing. My favorite annual event: The Iditarod.

No comments:

Post a Comment