Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Smell of Fresh Snow


So after returning from a month's vacation, I was disappointed at the lack of snow. Anchorage looked pretty much like it looked when I left, which was dismal in comparison to my expectations of fluffy snow and a nice winter. Luckily, it started snowing right away, as if to welcome me home.

Last night I went to the birthday party of one of my lovely employees Nicole, who we affectionately call "COCO". As I was leaving the party, the smell of fresh snow hit my nostrils and I said aloud, "Finally! This is what I have been waiting for all winter." For some reason I hadn't found that smell yet this year, even though we've had snow. There's just something about it, you know what I mean? Crisp, clean, and... snowy? Will someone please help me with a more descriptive word?

Many of our guests are quite afraid of the snow. People think "Cold, wet", but not so! In fact, snow can mean warm! It's true! When it gets super cold and dark, it doesn't snow and winter starts to feel long and dismal and the streets look dirty. Then it warms up a little and life looks all rosy and the classic light, large, quiet flakes float to the ground like they did yesterday and all is right in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment